President D. Trump and his Coronavirus Task Force, held a briefing today as the global death toll from CONID 19 topped more than 14,000.
The President told reporters that the major disaster declarations in New York and Washington state have been approved and that he will “soon” approve California’s request. At the same time he said that, leans towards activating the National Guard in those three states.
As public health officials sound the alarm about a lack of personal protective equipment for medical workers,, New York now surpass Washington as the state with the highest number of coronavirus cases, with the total number topping 15,000, Earlier today Andrew Cuomo said that the death toll in New York stands at more than 110.
Mr. Trump detailed how the federal government, with the assistance of the private sector, is ensuring states have the facilities and supplies needed, by providing face masks, ventilators, gowns and gloves.
And the president said specifically today that:
- Four large medical stations with 1,000 beds each are going to be built in New York.
- Eight medical stations are heading to California over the next 48 hours.
- Seven medical stations will be set up in Washington state,
- A hospital ship is in the process of being deployed to New York in the “next few weeks,” the president said.
- Medical supplies are on the way to New York and California for health care workers.
And the president added:
“This is a challenging time for all Americans. We’re enduring a great national trial and we will prove that we can meet the moment. I want to assure the American people that we’re doing everything we can each day to confront and ultimately defeat this horrible invisible enemy. We’re at war.”
At the same briefing, Vice President Mike Pence told reporters that the government will issue on Monday, new guidelines for first responders.
Cover Photo and source of Information: CBS News and the White House