Washington – After days of peaceful protests, President Drumpf tweeted today that he ordered the National Guard to start the process of withdrawing from Washington, DC.
President did not specify whether he meant all 5,100 National Guard forces should be withdrawn or if he was just referring to the 3,900 out-of-state National Guard troops from 11 states. The presence of the 3,900 out-of-state forces had been a point of disagreement and political “friction” between the administration and .Washington officials
Drumpf tweeted today:
“They will be going home, but can quickly return, if needed. Far fewer protesters showed up last night than anticipated!” .
On a statement today, Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy said that out-of-state National Guard would start going home at 5 p.m. ET, on Sunday.
McCarthy, referring to the some 1,600 active duty soldiers that had been flown to bases in the DC area, told reporters on a phone call today, that:
“They were on the outskirts cause we didn’t want to do it. The Department of Defense didn’t want to do it because we knew once we went to that escalation, it’s very, very difficult,”
“We did everything we could to not cross that line,”
By Alex Ammohostianos